Tuesday, October 30, 2012

BEFORE EARTH

It is almost November. And, yes, I'm doing NaNo again. I did it last year and, while it was a challenge, I learned so much and couldn't help but to do it again. The reason I'm doing it is exactly the same reason I did it last year. I love the community of it. I feel inspired by it. I mean, we're human and we need story to survive, so why not go crazy with story for one month. I love it!

I'd love for you to join me if you're doing it this year. Here's a link to me.


You can follow my progress there. Last year I wrote THE ART OF MAKING STARS, which is a contemporary YA romance. This year I'm going with a YA science fiction. I'm really excited about this new book. It's called BEFORE EARTH. Here's the pitch (which will, I'm afraid, probably change a lot because I'm a pantster):


Seventeen-year-old Meg Williams is totally pissed off when her dad invites a vagrant named Damon to live above their garage. It doesn’t help that he ends up in her physics class at school the next day. Although, she has to admit, his army green Chuck Taylors are pretty hot. But when Damon tells her he’s from Mars, she knows he’s more than weird, he’s psycho.
 Then NASA discovers something on Mars, something that freaks the world out: An exact replica of The Statue of Liberty, lying on its side, half covered in rusty Martian dust. While scientists, militaries and world leaders scramble to find answers, Meg goes to the only person who actually knows the truth: Damon.
 Damon explains he is an ancient Martian from a prehistoric green Mars, which is slowly turning to the silent red-desert-planet we know. In desperation, the advanced inhabitants of Mars have opened up portals through time and space and are slowly emigrating to different time periods on Earth.
 To convince Meg, Damon takes her through a portal to the dying Mars and, while there, she sees something strange. Something that could change the history of Earth, erasing her existence and everything she knows.
 It’s up to her and Damon to figure out how to save the Martians while attempting to maintain the now fragile history and population on Earth.

Doesn't it sound exciting! Unlike THE ART OF MAKING STARS, this book actually has a plot! We'll see if I can pull it off!
 Here's an image that is TOTALLY part of this book:
Isn't it dreamy! I LOVE it.

Here's a tentative cover:
So. Are you doing NaNo? If so, why are you? I'd love to hear! Also, let's be NaNo buddies!

 

9 comments:

  1. You are amazing. Maybe I'll send you a care package to help you through the tougher moments. Go Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brooke! And I accept your care package offer. Probably best around the middle. Oh, the middle is so HARD!

      Delete
  2. Yess SciFi!
    Sounds like you have a pretty good idea where you want this story to go. You can do this!
    Good luck, and have fun while you're at it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irene! I hope I can pull it off! I will definitely have fun.

      Delete
  3. So Excited for this one! And I'm your NaNo buddy. 2 days and counting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Only two days. I feel like I should prop myself in front of the TV or go on a hike or something, since I won't be doing either of those things in a few days!

      So glad we're NaNo-ing together.

      Delete
  4. Haha. OF COURSE it will have a plot! I love the pics on this post. So cool. This book and the excerpts you've shown me have me SO INTRIGUED. Good luck, Emily. I'll be right there rooting for you every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can make this book as cool as the premise! That is my goal. I'm still in the honeymoon period and in love with it.

      Delete
  5. I love this story so much I want to marry it. Also, where do you find such awesome pictures? I love 'em. Two days!!! We can do it.

    ReplyDelete