Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Marine Layer

Might be covered by Ocean in my dream, or in the near Globally Warmed Future.
This morning, when I woke up early to go swimming, a thick marine layer of fog had covered our little valley. This happens, in the summer, every few days...but this is the first of the year. I love the fog. It's thick and smells of the ocean--and it acts like nature's air conditioner.

At swimming, one of the other swimmers said, "I love this marine layer. I feel like I'm in Santa Cruz." And we all laughed and smiled and were just being humans together. And then he said, "Whenever the fog comes, I feel like I'm on vacation. Like I'm living in a different place."

And...he nailed it. His observation is exactly how I feel about the fog, even though I'd never thought of it in those terms. And it reminded me of a dream I had. I dreamed that the vineyard, behind our house, had turned into the ocean. The ocean, right in our backyard. And instead of Shakespeare festivals in the grape vines, we sailed in the foggy gray waters. And it was like we were living in a vacation home, instead of our real home.

I love when people wax poetic, especially when they're not writers. I guess everyone has the powers of observation, but real people saying things that are meant to be written down and remembered is just magical.

Have you met a 'character,' out in the world. You know, one you didn't make up?

9 comments:

  1. Um, yeah. Her name is Emily. She says her children are ugly, quotes funny TV shows, and has the cutest clothes but doesn't think so. The best part is, sometimes its hard to tell if she's kidding or not, which makes her THAT much more fun to be around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I never know when you're kidding, Em. So now I choose to laugh at everything you say. It's the safest bet! :-)

      Delete
    2. Ha. Ha. Ilima, if I ever make it into one of your books, I'll consider myself blessed.

      Also, Katherine, it's ALWAYS ok to laugh at everything I say.

      Delete
  2. How beautiful, Emily. And did you really take that picture? Is that what it looks like there right now? Incredible! Can I come back?!! :-)

    The last character I met in the world was a wild horse that a cowboy was trying to gently tame. I watched him work with the horse for two hours. It was amazing. I totally connected with that horse! I felt like I was this wild thing and someone who loved me--a higher power, if you will--was trying to gently tame me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you connect with the horse and not its writer. Truly a fantasy writer, my dear!

      Delete
  3. Harriet, my previous 78-year-old neighbor, scolded me for not being 'green' at the dumpster because I didn't recycle bottles, had a car covered with every kind of anti war sticker...and also read and critiqued my manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dying to know what she said of your manuscript! I love colorful people like that! I'm assuming she wasn't in your manuscript...

      Delete
  4. Good question! (One I’m definitely going to give some thought). But seriously… I can't believe you live next to SUCH GORGEOSNESS. A Valley? Vineyard? And a place to swim? Sounds like a holiday to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I feel lucky to live in such a great place. I didn't actually take that picture (I'm no photographer), but it does look like that. Also, just swimming in a pool, so, you know, no big deal.

      Delete